Thoughts on NaNoWriMo

By Gloria G. Adams

Thought #1: Why is this thingy in November?

Possible answers:
1.    The month begins with an “N.”
2.    Writers have procrastinated all year and this is their last chance to actually “get something done.”
3.    Real answer: Because the weather is miserable in November. That’s according to one of the founders (Chris Baty.)

Thought #2: Why does this work?
1.    It just does
2.    Well, not always, not if you quit.
3.    Real answer: Because people tend to perform when they have to be accountable to someone else.

Thought #3: Can I do this if I am a children’s author?
1.    Yes
2.    Of course
3.    Real answer: Number 1, Number 2, and mine’s a middle grade novel, so 25,000-30,000 words, not as long as an adult or young adult or new adult novel (50,000 words+)

Thought #4: Why am I doing this?
1.    I want to finish my novel
2.    I want to finish my novel
3.    Real answer: I want to finish my novel

Thought #5: Why don’t I do this every month and not just in November?
1.    Because it sounds overwhelming
2.    Because I get lazy
3.    Real answer: both of the above.

This is the first year I am actually DOING NaNoWriMo. I made a spreadsheet on Google Docs and shared it with my writer friends and we plan to get together a few times and write. But it’s there for them to see and I am diligently filling it in. And it is working.

I participated in a “writer’s boot camp” once, same kind of concept. I only made it through half the month, then quit because it was a mystery and I needed to stop and actually outline first. I am not a “Pantser.” But I managed to write 16,000 words and I have the bones of a fairly decent adult novel. But mostly, I was so surprised that I was able to get that much done and I realized it was because I had to be accountable.

This process really can work. Will I have a highly-polished, ready-to-submit manuscript on November 30th? Heck, no. But I am hoping to have a pretty decent one that will not take forever to reach that polished state.

So, while this is not an “official NaNoWriMo,” it is my version and it is helping reach a goal. If I reach this one, I plan to do NaNoWriMo every month because that’s what the most successful writers do. If you read their tips, that one is always there: write every day. NaNo adds a specific word count per day to that, which makes it more challenging. But every challenge needs specifics.

Is it overwhelming? Yes! Will I get lazy? Probably. But if I make myself accountable, I know it’s possible.

So I need a name. “Not Just November Novel Writing Month? (NoJuNoNoWriMo?) or “Write Every Day of the Year? (WriEvDaOfTheYe?)

Hey, I’ve got it! NaNoWriMoEvMo (National Novel Writing Month Every Month.)

Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment